Saturday, February 13, 2010

Balance

I woke from a dream last night. I first met a man who was trying to get a boat into the water. The whole thing played out like a movie. At first I didn’t like the man. And he really bumbled getting the boat into the water. As the “movie” played out there was one scene where I wanted to drive his very large 4 wheel drive truck and I couldn’t get it out of the woods. I went forward and almost went down a very rocky slope, huge boulders everywhere. When I thought all was lost, in jumps the hero and stops the truck! The entire dream had a theme of fun and excitement, really living life! Swimming, playing, laughing and adventure!

As I sit here thinking of this scene, it takes me back to my childhood… Oh the days of 4 wheeling, motorcycle riding, tractor pulls, biker parties, Daytona Bike Week and mud bogging!! If you don’t understand “redneck-eze” I will explain: Mud bogging is when you take your 4 wheel drive, rail dune buggy or anything else you can get through and drive it full speed through a huge mud bog… You compete against someone else and whoever makes it out 1st wins! After the “races” are over, you are free to join into the Mud Wrestling!! (As I write this I fully understand how redneck this all is! Perfect cause I am from a little redneck town in Georgia!) Tractor pulls are in this same vein. You get a tractor and load it with weights that gradually move up the back of a trailer and see how far you can pull it. Afterwards, the monster trucks would smash cars… Now all of this was before monster trucks became so commercial! Back then it was raw fun!

Even thinking about these events gets my blood racing! The excitement and the fun! And no event was complete until someone poured beer on you! We usually got home when the sun was coming up! Those were the days!

My Dad is a Biker, through and through, and when I was small I wanted to be just like him! Everything he did was exciting, target shooting, hunting, working on trucks. We always had 4 wheel drive trucks, motorcycles, dirt bikes and of course guns and at one point we even had a purple dune buggy and a rail buggy! From a young age I could use all of the above. He got me my 1st BB gun when I was 5, my 1st dirt bike when I was 9 and when I was 12 he told me that if I could figure out how to drive the dune buggy (a stick shift) I could have it… Of course he didn’t count on me figuring it out and it was never mine. A few years ago, fondly remembering those days, I bought myself a dune buggy and my children get a little taste of how I grew up!

Those days offer an honesty that is rare these days.

Which brings me to the point of this writing, balance. Yes you can fully enjoy living in the moment and be who you are, NO MATTER WHO THAT IS and still be of service! The days of wild parties are long gone, replaces with the calm and serenity of servitude. All that I do is in service to God, spreading the word that God lives in us and is not a separate entity. I teach this to my children hoping that they will shine so brightly that people will accept them even in the heart of the “Bible Belt”. We balance our spiritual lives with the fun and excitement of good ole fashion motorcycle riding and dune buggy racing…. Just being kids, knowing that one day, they will look at their mother knowing that she was able to balance a spiritual side with a reckless, wild abandon that will indeed on day set us free!

No comments:

Post a Comment